Archive for the ‘ 262MC ’ Category

TV recording day

I’m going to break this down into sections otherwise it might not make much sense.

Setting up: With there being a New York meeting today, a few of us were in there so it put us behind schedule by 30minutes…this would have been fine if the studio was set up when we arrived after the meeting but people didn’t know where the equipment was so it pushed everything back.
We didn’t have anyone working on lights so Jaypee and I tried our best to sort them out on Tuesday but when we came to sort them out today they were all over the place and one of the lights wasn’t working. Bex came in and helped us sort this problem, which made us a further 20 minutes behind schedule.
We had originally planned our set to look like this:

The black background silhouette people were not used. This was due to two things: When we were supposed to be having our run through, our set designer didn’t put them up on the blue backdrop to check if they were suitable and would stay on the backdrop. When some of the crew were trying to put them up on the backdrop today they weren’t staying up, even after trying several different approaches.

Filming:
Due to unforeseen circumstances our directer wasn’t able to make our practices last week so this slowed down the recording of the show because she was trying to work out the positions of the cameras. During recording there were several people that did not pull their weight. I really do not want to name names but I think just by being in the studio and feeling the vibe off some individuals, you could see who was working (or at least trying to make everything work) and who was just in a world of their own or not bothered. Having said this I believe our presenter did a good job. In my previous post I said that there might be a change in presenter due to some crew members having doubts but Jaypee showed us that he could do it. There were times when he stumbled over words and got in a bit of a twist but I was really impressed with him today. He seemed confident even though he knew people were doubting him as a presenter. The whole issue with the presenter could have been sorted weeks ago if people had voiced their opinions a lot sooner so we were able to work with Jaypee, making sure he was comfortable and confident with the script..instead of voicing their opinions less than 48 hours before recording day.

My individual role – Sound:
Before the recording I was getting the presenter and contestants to do a sound check. The levels were fine and I realised that for some people I had to turn the volume right up because I presume they were nervous. During the recording, the contestants were getting more and more into the quiz so I found myself having to turn the volume down because they were getting too excited but as the questions were getting harder the contestants were unsure of answers so were getting very quiet when they were speaking. I’m not sure how much I could’ve done to make them louder as the volume was on full already during the most difficult questions. My role wasn’t just sound. I helped with lighting, the script and set design (as well as buying some part for the set). If certain people had done their jobs correctly then a few of us wouldn’t have had to take on so much.

So yes, today could have gone A LOT better and I feel that everyone was really demoralized by the whole experience. There were things that could have been a lot sharper and gone a lot smoother but due to a few people’s attitude towards this part of the module this was not the case.

1 day to go

Yesterday Shelley, our producer, received a number of messages from our team saying that they were unsure that our presenter would be able to speak clear enough while recording tomorrow. When Shelley told me this we were both quite confused as to why people didn’t voice their opinions during our practice on Tuesday…Shelley contacted the presenter and told him that people had their doubts. This all happens two days before recording… The presenter is going to have a run through tomorrow and if his speech isn’t clear then Shelley will step in and present….even though she’s the producer.

While filming I’ve booked out a Canon 60D from the media loan shop. This will be in the corner of the studio while we film so that we can possibly do a time lapse of the recording and then we can put it on our websites as part of the extras. I’ll set the camera up before we start to set up the studio so that it will include the setting up part in the extras as well. I thought this would be a great idea instead of taking photos and possibly getting in the way of people setting up. There will be times when we do take photos as well.

As for how I feel about tomorrow…I’m quite nervous. The only practice we’ve had was on Tuesday which wasn’t very successful…But I am quite excited to get this filmed. I’m just a bit worried. Having multiple deadlines in one week is very stressful.

On with the show!

TV progress

The script:
A small group of us worked with Shelley, the producer, to create a script. We were thinking of questions while she was checking the difficulty of them and writing them down. As soon as you get put on the spot and asked to think of British pop culture, our minds just went blank..but slowly we managed to get some really good questions down. We had a good system going. We decided that the first round would be relatively easy and would be all about British pop culture or at least based on British pop culture. The round would be called “You will never get this”…irony, because they will, they’re that easy. After finishing writing about 10 questions we asked some of the rest of the crew, who had been doing other things, to answer them just to see how long it would take to get through the questions and to see how many more we needed. They got through the questions rather quickly so we had to come up with more.

We proceeded in the same manor for the second round which we named “Name that sound”. The difficulty of this round would be slightly harder than round one but not impossible. We found clips on YouTube that we’d use as the sound clips and then we thought of a question about the clip, its not just a simple naming of the clips. Again, we tested the questions on some of the crew members. The final round was written by Shelley as we ran out of time in the studio and people needed to get home to do work.

Script for Greedy Little Beggars

On Thursday 22nd November we were in the studio checking lighting, setting up the cameras for the camera crew to have a bit of a practice and getting a feel for the set. Our set designer came into the studio saying she’s got the set sorted. Brilliant. We asked her about the podiums, her face was blank – so the podiums were not sorted. We asked about other aspects of the set and got a similar response…so much for having the set sorted. While the set designer went to actually get the set sorted, Ant and I were trying to set up the lighting and see which of the lights worked. We managed to get the majority of the lights working and tried to move them into the positions we needed them…easier said than done because I don’t like heights and Ant was in the gallery fiddling with the intensity of the lights. We finally got a few of the lights in some of the positions we needed them. We took a break…some people were beginning to get on other people’s nerves. After the break we were with Karen to talk about our progress so far. Certain people were annoying me too much so I stayed relatively quiet during the session. Karen was pleased with our progress so far, on one level it was a productive day but on so many more it really really wasn’t and tension were running high. We called it a day and went our separate ways. A few of us decided we’d leave a little earlier and look for things for the set..something which the set designer should have really done but apparently was too busy doing essay work and a show reel..something which everyone has to do. We weren’t happy but we had to go and search for things for the set, if we didn’t then we might’ve only had half a set.

Format proposal – Task 6

1. Title of the show? We thought long and hard about the title of our format. This was not an easy task, it seemed like everyone had a creative block. I came up with ‘Plead n’ Greed’. While explaining this to Karen I said, “Well, the contestants need to plead to get other people’s money because they’re greedy little beggars…”. Karen stopped me there and said “Greedy little beggars…I think you’ve got your title there.” Title: Greedy Little Beggars.

2. The pitch? “4 contestants, 3 quiz rounds, 2 finalists, 1 winner. Who will be the ultimate greedy little beggar?”

3. What is the hook of your show (it’s unique selling point if you like) that will keep an audience interested in watching? Our show brings components from other quiz shows and puts it into one show. For example, voting contestants off comes from The Weakest Link. Our unique selling point is: When a contestant has been voted off they have to give their money to another contestant. For this to happen the contestants have to say why they deserve to have the money and beg for it.

4. Describe the presenting style and tone – will they be friend or foe? What are the reasons for this presenting style? The presenter, Jaypee, will be friendly to all of the contestants although with one contestant he will have a high level of banter, for example when the contestants are testing their buzzers one of the contestants will have a very strange sounding buzzer, Jaypee will look at that contestant and say something a long the lines of, “…what’s wrong with you”. This level of banter between the two will continue throughout the show and will add a comedic value to the format. Jaypee’s attitude and tone will be enthusiastic and friendly throughout. If you have a presenter that isn’t bothered and is grumpy then your format won’t be very successful because it wouldn’t grab your attention. If the presenter doesn’t care there’s no reason the audience would.

5. Describe the look of your format – what will make it distinctive in a crowded TV schedule? Our format will appeal to the ‘lost generation’, the 18-25 year olds, because it’s all about pop culture as well as the contestants being of that age as well. The presenter’s sarcastic commentary over the audition tapes will keep the comedy and also bring in more viewers as they might find it very ‘come dine with me’esk. The begging aspect of the show hasn’t really happened in any other format so, this being a new tactic, the audience will won’t to know more about it and be eager to watch to the end to see which of the greedy little beggars has won.

6. How will the audience at home interact with your show? Our audience will be able to contact us and interact with the show via our website, our Twitter and our Facebook page. Our website will have an about page, describing the show and giving a breakdown of the rules, a photo gallery which will consist of photos of the presenter and the live show, an extras section which will have a video of the audition tapes as well as behind the scene’s footage of the show and a ‘contact us’ page which will have an e-mail address on it and an apply now button which, hopefully, will take you to an online application form. On the website we will also have a poll so that our audience can vote on certain things, the most important thing they will be asked to vote on will be the categories of the four rounds meaning the audience will be the sole decider of the category of questions being asked to the contestants. Our Twitter and Facebook page will be used the most during the actual recording of the show, we will be able to get live updates from the audience about what they think about the contestants and who is their favourite. As well as this we will be able to post links to our website reminding our audience members to vote on the polls.

7. How does is reflect today’s diverse audience? Our show will bring the ‘lost generation’ back by appealing to their likes and dislikes as well as their knowledge of pop culture so they are able to get excited by the questions and shout the answers at their TV. We wouldn’t just appeal to the 18-25 age group but to older and younger people as well by having a diverse selection of questions and interesting characters.

Radio Evaluation – task 5

The people in my group were Luke Cutts and Terence (TJ) Smith and the name of our radio piece was called “Creepy Cov Encounters”. We had a few ideas flying around at the beginning of this module but because we were slowly approaching Halloween we thought that doing a show about paranormal activities that have happened in Coventry. At first, TJ wasn’t ecstatic about the idea because of the examples we had been shown from last year. They seemed very scripted and to be honest they weren’t good pieces of work, so I understand that he was a bit dubious about it because we all wanted to get a good grade and didn’t want our idea to jeopardise that. Having never produced a radio programme before I threw myself into the deep end and chose the role as editor, although I was a guest on the show telling a story about a paranormal experience that happened at a school as well as Luke and I being involved with the ghost walk recordings as our presenter, TJ, couldn’t make it because of work. Working as editor was difficult. I had never used the programme, Audacity, before so getting used to it took a bit of time. Although Luke and TJ offered to help with the editing I felt like I had to sit down and solely focus on it by myself, obviously they gave me advice and their opinions that I took into consideration and made changes accordingly. All us of mixed roles really and it was a group effort, no one slacked off and I believe the end result mirrors this because the work that we produced was of a good quality and we are proud of it.

Once we had our idea we began to research to see if there was any organisation in Coventry that actually specialised in paranormal events or talks. We managed to find a company called Spook Hunters that are based in Coventry, more specifically Spon Street. Spook Hunters hosted an event called “Historic Coventry Ghost Walk” and, with a bit of trouble trying to get tickets for this event, we finally were able to get tickets and Dave, the organiser, agreed that we were able to record the event for our programme as well as agreeing to be interviewed. Luke and I went to this event on Friday October 26th. We interviewed Dave and the majority of the walk but, sadly, because the of the time constraint of 7minutes for the piece I was not able to include a lot from the walk. After the walk Spook Hunters invited us to an event at the old bridge club on Spon Street to take part in a Ouija board and other things as well. The whole evening was really good and we were able to get a lot of recordings done. It really pushed our work onto a different level because we were able to include interviews from the people from Spook Hunters who actually had multiple paranormal experiences. Being involved in the event at the old bridge club was brilliant for the programme because, instead of having a 7-minute piece with one person speaking the entire time, we went out and took part in paranormal events. I can still remember VERY clearly how I felt during the Human Pendulum and that feeling won’t leave me anytime soon. The events we took part in were not described enough at the time so that let us down but it was still relevant and added to the creepy feeling we wanted to portray.

The show:

Intro – welcoming the audience, telling them what was coming up on the programme and reminding them that they could contact us via twitter.

Vox pops – we asked local people if they believed in the paranormal and whether they had any stories to tell us. This worked really well, we were able to get a variation of voices and opinions that really helped bring our programme to life.

My story – I told a story of a school caretaker seeing a ghost of a small boy. This wasn’t a made up story and I’m glad it came across as genuine. This segment broke up the programme so it wasn’t just one voice throughout which is a common convention of radio programmes to get other members of the production team to join in the discussions.

Ghost walk – Luke and I on our roaming report at the ghost walk event and then the event afterwards as well. This was decent, like I mentioned before it would have been a lot better if it was described in more detail but I do think our inability to describe things was because we hadn’t been involved in anything like that before so we were rather scared.

Closing – before saying goodbye TJ read out a tweet from a listener. He then proceeded to say thank you and goodbye. The way TJ said goodbye wasn’t the conventional way and it really showed off his own personality, not wanting to follow the conventions and make his own way.

The ghost walk segment was the best one in my opinion; although it wasn’t described properly I still think it was clear to the audience what was happening. It gave the show a deeper, scarier feeling and when we were listening to it in the lecture everyone wanted to know more about it and what possessed us to take part in such an event.

In conclusion, I believe we definitely met the brief, although it might have been a topic that has been done before we did it in a completely different way and made it our own by going on the event run by the Spook Hunters and the originality and personality of our presenter. It was a ‘Halloween special’ so this type of programme would only work during Halloween although TJ did say at the end of the programme, “Tune in next week for even more stories from the city of Coventry”, so it could be part of an on going series.

Producing

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Day of recording

We each had out scripts and we were ready to record. We had practiced countless times and were confident on the day that we’d produce something of a high standard. The thing that annoyed us the most on recording day was we were in the studio from 9am until 9:45am. Why so early? Because another group had booked the studio on the Tuesday and Wednesday from 10am until 12:30. The same group. Slightly unfair but what can you do.. In actual fact, having only 40minutes to record was good because we had no time to mess around and working to that 40minute deadline made it feel more real, like we were actually producing something for a real radio station. Recording went well, no problems or complications. There were parts were we had to focus on because someone had made a mistake or the pronunciation of certain words wasn’t clear. Focusing on these parts was the most time consuming really because we had a few takes and repeating them with the same amount of enthusiasm was difficult. The timings were spot on and the producer, Luke Cutts, did a brilliant job of making sure the piece flowed smoothly.

Throughout the programme we each were interchanging roles, even though we had our set roles, we all help each other. I was a guest in the programme telling a story of a paranormal event while Terence asked me questions. When we went on the ghost walk Terence couldn’t be there because he had work commitments so Luke and I did a ‘roaming report’ of the evening. Both Luke and Terence helped me during the editing process by give me advice and voicing their opinions which I took and changed some areas of the programme accordingly.

I really liked working with Luke and Terence, we all got on really well and giving each other the support we needed. Awesome team!

Ghost walk

October 26th:

Luke and I arranged to take part in a ghost walk which is run by the Spook Hunters. Its a walk from Spon Street to the Cathedral and Spook Hunters tell you all about the ghost sightings, murderous tales that have happened in Coventry, as well as myths and other paranormal events that have happened in the city. Before the walk we managed to get an interview with the operations director, Dave.

6:30pm – The start of the walk. There was brief introduction from Dave giving a very short overview of what the walk will consist of.

The walk was about an hour and a half long and afterwards Luke and I were invited along to the Old Bridge Club on Spon Street by Dave to be involved in another event from 9pm to 2am which included ouija boards and other things. The Old Bridge Club used to be three houses before it got converted into one building. The middle house was home to a woman and her two children, the woman killed her children and then committed suicide. Naturally this added to the already building tension and anxiety of the evening. The first room Luke and I went into was the upstairs middle room (formally the house of the woman), as you can assume Luke and I were terrified. Even though this part of the evening was more visually based we still recorded it on the Edirol. In the room we sat at a table with a ouija board in front of us. After this we went upstairs into the attic were we did the human pendulum. I was in the middle and everyone else stood around me holding hands. One of the members of Spook Hunters proceeded to say “If there is anyone here could you please move Mosh in the middle of the circle”. I suddenly felt a force push me forwards and backwards. There were times during the human pendulum were I was almost pushed to the floor.

I was a really good evening and it really gave us a better insight into the paranormal than anything else would have. Being able to speak to the Spook Hunters team really helped us and I feel it will make a big difference to our radio programme because we’ve actually had first hand experiences of paranormal events. A massive thank you to the Spook Hunters team, they really went the whole nine yards and made sure we got everything we needed to get for the radio programme and also they made sure we didn’t get too scared.